Sat/Sun October 16/17, 2010 - relaxing weekend of doing nothing!!!

Emma's still not feeling well, so when Gregori arrives at 9:45am to take us to the orphanage, we decide to cancel the visits this weekend to let the boys and Emma get over their colds. So I take the opportunity to have Gregori take me to the 'SuperMarket' instead. I climb into his taxi and tell him that Emma is sick, "no diti" (no kids), but that I want to go get groceries...you know "milk, bread, groceries...", showing him my list. He nods and we head off to town. But apparently he didn't really understand my sign language or grunts of Ukrainian, so he ends up taking me to the orphanage anyways. I sorta knew what was going on, but I kept hoping he was just taking a back road to the grocery store - but when he turned down the road to the orphanage I realized we had a problem. So who ya gonna call? I get Natasha on the phone and she explains to Gregori that we won't be visiting the boys this weekend and I just need to go to the 'SuperMarket' - which she explains is the proper universal word to use in the future...we have a chuckle and he takes me to the store to stock up on supplies and Ukrainian cash to pay the rent. I tell him we will be staying in the rest of the weekend so we don't need him until Monday morning. But did he understand?

A very quiet and boring day today - hardly seems worthy of a blog entry, but writing relaxes me. Emma rests upstairs while I re-arrange the living room by laying Natasha's mattress on the floor in front of the fireplace, with a few chairs, a table and lamp so that Emma can rest by the fire and read. So that's all we did today!

 

Emma comes down and gets comfortable in the fireside bed, and we spend the day reading and writing - nothing much else to write about. Our friends from Tel Aviv call (she goes by 'Goldie' and her husbands name is Alon I think...), and they want to possibly meet up for dinner but I explain that Emma isn't feelin up to it - maybe tomorrow.

Our friend Linda Miller, who actually got us kick-started on this adoption thing a few years ago (she and her husband Brian adopted two cute Russian boys), sent us an email telling us about her plans to celebrate our new Dannemillers when we pass through London. She and a few friends from our Tube Lines days (the lovely Kerry Johnson and Stephanie Kennard) have planned a baby shower/Halloween party at chez-Miller/Nichols on the 31st of October. Sounds like a really fun party for the kids, as well as our family and friends in the London area. You guys are great for doing this!!! I hope we're out of here by then...;^)
 
After dinner, we settle in for the night, reading, writing, enjoying the fire, some wine, and a beautiful Kirovograd evening...Good night everybody!

Sunday, 17 October, 2010 - Day two of our relaxing weekend of doing nothing. I was actually awake this morning at 2am listening to my Michigan football team losing again to Iowa. Pretty cool that I can sit in Kirovograd and listen to my 'boys in blue' via Internet radio - altho the game didn't quite end up the way I wanted.
So I actually sleep in till about 8am and start to work on flights for the three boys. Now that we have their names finalized, I can actually get them on our flights from London to Vegas. None of us have flights booked from Kiev to London yet until we know for sure that everything is done and dusted. Getting one way flights to London on Ukrainian Airlines is cheap and easy, so I'm not worried about that. Hopefully we'll be able to leave Kiev by the 29th...

Emma sleeps until about noon - she really needed her rest to get rid of this cold. Again, nothing much happened today - Emma made a nice omelet for brunch and we just stayed in all day reading, writing, and listening to Euro-Pop on the local MTV channel...not much else to watch unless you speak Ukrainian or Russian. Our lazy afternoon is interspersed with comments and questions like "What do you think the boys are doing right now?", or "Who should we invite to the party", or "What do you think we should get the boys for Christmas?", or "When do you think we will get Vanya and then the younger boys?", or "What do you think the boys will eat?". I know - riveting dialogue, but as you can see - all we think about are the boys!

Emma starts feeling a bit better and tries to do some yoga (too hard core for this boy...), but it starts to make her feel sick again, so when Goldie calls, I tell her we're just going to stay in again tonight. We'll see them at the orphanage tomorrow, so we'll make plans to meet up for lunch or dinner. Emma makes her famous toasted ham and cheese sandwiches, and I open my wonderful bottle of Crimean Cabernet (by the way - for a $3 bottle of wine, you can't beat this stuff! Cousin Susan suggests we bring a bottle home for the memory. I might just bring a case!). I light the fire, and we just relax and read until it's time for bed. Good night all - big week starts tomorrow!!


No comments:

Post a Comment